Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Mommy Is CooCoo

This Mommy may be CooCoo, but I think she's got it 'goin on'.  
She has 3 little ones at home and still finds time to do neat crafty things.  She recently asked me if I'd like to trade posts and I jumped on the idea.  So, without further ado, here she is.  Please go visit her blog, and tell her Candy sent ya.




Hello! I am Amanda and I blog at mommy is coocoo.


~ My blog is all about fun! ~

Whether you are laughing about the realities of marriage and motherhood or being inspired to make your everyday surroundings lovely, regardless of your budget. I am thrilled to be guest posting today!  I'd like to share with you two projects near and dear to my heart.  I hope these projects inspires you!




~  1. Cork Board made from wine corks ~

I've been collecting wine corks for more than fifteen years. I have always appreciated the unique look of the corks and I knew something great could be made from them.  To make this cork board I bought a frame and had cheap matte board cut to fit.  I used hot glue to attach the corks.  I placed my corks along the perimeter of the frame and worked my way in (glue the corks in sections as you go). 


2. Antique Door ~ Turned Free-Standing Door w Mirror
~ a  ($20) fairytale before & after story ~

I bought an antique door with mirror as a gift
  for Emmerson's first birthday.


~ before ~


Although this door was in very bad shape when I found it, it was easy to see it had a lot of potential. Beveled mirrors in doors are very rare.  The mirror was covered with paint. The door frame had been painted and repainted over and over again. The paint was peeling and chipping off. Also, due to the amount of grime on the back of the door, I suspect it may have been in a fire.

Did this deter me?

Not in the least!   this coocoo momma LOVEs old doors!

~ after ~

Here's how I did it:

  1. I sanded and scraped and sanded and sanded. Old doors often have been painted with led paint and I wanted to make sure all of this was gone before the door went to live in Emmy's bedroom.
  2. After cleaning off the door with a wet cloth, I primed it.
  3. Then, I applied my first layer of pink paint using a small roller.
  4. I lightly sanded the door allowing some of the light colored primer paint to show through.
  5. I then cleaned all the dust off the door again and applied the second coat of pink paint (this time I used 1/2 glaze 1/2 pink paint to allow some of the imperfections to show through).
  6. Finally, I added two hooks, the doorplate, and bird stencils.

~ a free-standing door with mirror ~
~ painted two different shades of pale pink ~
~ I added two (spray painted) crown hooks ~
{which I bought at the goodwill}

~ a vintage door plate and glass doorknob ~

~ I added two bird stencils ~
{Emmerson's momma is coocoo for birds right now}

Thank you for allowing me to share today Candice.  This coocoo Momma couldn't be more grateful! If you'd like to see other coocoo projects or learn more about the whole coocoo family, head on over to my blog  mommy is coocoo.

3 comments:

  1. No, THANK YOU, Amanda.

    Pssst, hey, where'd you find those neat crown hooks??? Love um.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! It looks so great! :) Thank you, Candy. I'm so happy for us. Found those hooks at the goodwill BUT I've seen similar ones at Hobby Lobby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you projects. That door is beautiful and the cork board, how fabulous. Connie :)

    ReplyDelete

I do read and appreciate EVERY comment. I try to reply to all, but sometimes might miss seeing one. Please visit often. THANKS!!!