Tuesday, May 1, 2012

VINTAGE FINDS IN THE GARDEN

I'm really not much of a gardener, even though I do have a Master Gardener Certificate.  But, I'll blame that on lack of TIME.  You'll see from these pictures that my beds are just thrown together, but I can call them COTTAGE GARDENS and get away with it....don't cha think??

I just thought I'd show you  how to add a little whimsy to your garden using some of your vintage finds.


I love, love, love my old birdcage.  The ivy has totally covered the stand now.  I'll have to keep it trimmed back or it'll cover the cage as well.  That's an old ice cream bucket down front, and it'll soon hold impatients.  


Abby is enjoying a sip of fresh rain water from the lid of this old teapot.  It has lost it's handle, but still looks sweet sittin in the flowerbed.

And, yes, I know my grass weeds need to be mowed..........again that TIME thingy.  But, it'll happen.......one day soon.  I promise.


Here, a  little vintage frog figurine hides among the creepin Charlie and wild violets.


An old work boot holds ivy.  An enamel canning pot holds creepin Charlie, and I luvvvv my concrete leaf made by a friend..........add a little bird seed or keep water in it for the birds and butterflies.


Oh, and I bought a box lot of those paperweights at an auction, 8 of them, I think it was.  But, when I got home and inspected them more closely, EVERY one of them was cracked.  So, methinks, these will just have to go into the garden INSTEAD of into the shop.  

SOOOO, what cha think?  Do you like to use vintage goodies in your garden too?

See ya'll back here soon.  8-)

I'm linking to these parties:





19 comments:

  1. Abby is your cutest garden ornament, and I like the rest of your ornaments too. The birdcage is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your yard. I would cut very little grass and let the wild violets and other ground covers do there thing. I love the way you use all of the goodies in your yard. The paper weights are a good call.

    The last time I was up there you almost lost that boot.
    I figured that by the time you got home and found out, I would be back in Huntsville with it planted in my back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, thanks Darel. You're too sweet. The wild violets really HAVE taken over the back yard. AND, then there are the moles. I love to walk barefoot in my yard, but their little tunnels have made that nearly impossible. I'll have to proclaim war soon, just haven't felt like doin battle lately.
    Hey, I'll keep watch out for a stray boot for your yard. FOLKS, if you want to see an ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS back yard, take a look at this guy's blog. Im soooo envious. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candy I have a couple of boots I could use that in time will look ok, but yours looked to have been there for many years. It has the perfect look.

    The wild violets have been running crazy on the moss paths also, I have to keep them kind of at bay. I like them but I don't want them to take over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks so pretty--I love the natural look

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Sandy. I've just come back from visiting your blog. Sooo many pretty things there. FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your garden!!!! It makes me want to go around and my house and find some of my vintage stuff to spread around! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Pam. And, I will be back.

      Delete
  8. I love garden junk and yours is so pretty. I have a bird cage collection that I like to use in the garden too. I like to use mine to hold flower pots and lighting for my garden. Love your idea with the ivy.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Debra. I'd love to see pics of yours. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your COTTAGE garden!! What is a garden without vintage thingies--wouldn't work for me. I love every flower, the creeping charlie is so prety. I like how you use throw-away finds as planters.Have a wonderful day,.
    ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, Thanks soooo very much. I don't have the time to have a beautiful manicured garden, but I do enjoy my little cottage beds. 8-)

      Delete
  11. I love how the garden area looks! The creepin charlie looks perfect in the old enamel pot! What a beautiful area!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katie, Thanks soooo much. My little beds are VERY informal and often neglected, but I still enjoy them.
    COME BACK TO SEE ME. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love coming across really unexpected touches in the garden! Thanks for sharing, liz

    ReplyDelete
  14. COME VISIT AGAIN SOON, LIZ !!! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the old boots! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I do read and appreciate EVERY comment. I try to reply to all, but sometimes might miss seeing one. Please visit often. THANKS!!!