Wednesday, June 6, 2012

MAKE YOUR OWN CHALKBOARDS

I'm sure most all of you know how to make a chalkboard.  But, maybe there'll be at least one person to read this that hasn't already made one of these.  I thought these two, using ANTIQUE frames turned out really well, SO, HERE GOES.



This old frame looks nice just as it is, but I thought I'd bring it into the present with a little paint.


I started with a gray base coat just to give it some depth.  Mixed my own using white plus black.  You learned that in kindergarten, didn't cha???



 Then, brushed just one coat over the entire frame.


After that dried, I brushed on a coat of Gesso.  See how you can see the gray through?  


Annnnnd, after that coat dried, I decided I wanted it to be eeeeven a little more white.  So, I brushed on another coat of Gesso, but this time, I thinned it some with water.  I didn't want a SOLID look.


Not yet?  No, I think just one more coat of thinned Gesso. Then, she gets just a light sanding, here and there.........just hitting the high spots.


I had my favorite handyman cut some 16" x 20" Masonite boards to fit the frames and then I just rolled on some Chalkboard paint.  This one is made by Folkart.  It's acrylic and cleans up with water.  A couple coats will do. 


Here's a couple more frames that I painted while that dried...........one is a pretty pink, the other, white.



After everything is dry, just pop them into the back using tiny nails or a diamond point gun (if you happen to have one).

Now, go to the next page to see how they turned out.

Of course, the chalkboard can be taken out and a mirror or photo put back in, but I love this look.











What cha think?




Check back in a day or so and I'll give directions for the little blue side table with the broken china mosaic top.  See ya then!!! 

I'm linking to these parties:


24 comments:

  1. Candy. I love how you painted that frame. Look forward to finding out about the little chest..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you how I found you :) I clicked on a link at Grand Social on Grandmas Briefs, it was Grandmalay's Daydreams, there saw your comment, and followed through to this post! Fun right? Like your project. Link up with me if you want at Wow Us Wednesday at www.familyhomeandlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie, Thanks for 'finding' yourself here on my blog. I hope you'll become a follower. And, yes, it's neat to know where and how people find us out in this blogland.
    I'll be right over to your place and link up. THANKS for the invite. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am especially fond of making chalk boards with the old frames. They are so charming and unique! I have plans to use some oblong old frames as head boards sometime down the road and may turn them into chalkboards for the girls to play with when they visit. Yours are so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Lynn, and thanks for stopping by. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so gorgeous! I love the final look of the frame. Great job! Thanks for following me, I'm definitely following back :)

    Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Anne. I hope you come back often.

      Delete
  7. Wow,I was just thinking to transform my mirror to a chalk board!!( which I've never done)
    Also I'm itching to try Gesso,you are always ahead of me! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, go get to work on that mirror. I'll be watching for your post with pics of the finished product. 8-)

      Delete
  8. Hi Candy! Your chalkboards turned out great!! Thanx so much for stopping by and following our new GGJ blog!

    xoxo
    jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. I think I ran across your posts on FACEBOOK, and had to go take a look. I hope you'll come back to visit here often. 8-)

      Delete
  9. Hi Candy! Nice to meet you through a comment you left on my blog. I am your new follower,
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Candy, I love the chalk boards. Thanks for sharing...I need to find me some gesso!

    Hugs
    Sumaya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sumaya. Im not sure of the difference in Gesso and regular paint, but I like the look. It has kind of a chalky look too.

      Have a great Sunday. 8-)

      Delete
  11. Didn't know gesso could do that! That's why bloggers are so cool. We share! Thanks for stopping by to visit and say those sweet words about my containers!
    Kim@reposhture.blogspot.com

    PS following along and thanks for doing the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following, Kim. I hope to see you hanging around here alot. 8-)

      Have a great Sunday. 8-)

      Delete
  12. Candy, they turned out lovely! I've been meaning to play around with gesso, but never go to it. You've inspired me to get off my but and do it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhhh........so nice to be an inspriation. LOL 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Candy,
    These turned out great! I especially love the lunch menu one :) Thanks so much for stopping by Creative Thursday last week. I couldn’t do these parties without you. Can’t wait to see what you link up this week. Have a great week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these- I never would have thought to use Gesso. I've got some- I'll have to try this! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Laura. Get that Gesso out and get to work!! VISIT AGAIN SOON.

    ReplyDelete

I do read and appreciate EVERY comment. I try to reply to all, but sometimes might miss seeing one. Please visit often. THANKS!!!